Air conditioners make the scorching summer months bearable. But when they break down, it’s essential to know how to troubleshoot the problem and decide whether you can repair it or if you need to replace it.
This article will provide an introduction to air conditioning repair, common issues, and when it’s best to call a professional.
Air conditioners function by circulating cool air through your home. But when they break down, it can be a significant inconvenience. The first step in troubleshooting an air conditioning problem is identifying the source of the problem.
Common air conditioning problems
- Thermostat problems: If your thermostat is set too low, your air conditioner won’t run. And if the thermostat is set too high, the air conditioner will run continuously without cooling the air. This can be a significant problem, primarily if your air conditioner is in an attic or other hot spot.
- Refrigerant leaks: If your air conditioner has a leaking refrigerant, it won’t be able to cool the air properly. As a result, your AC system may end up not circulating cool air. So it’s essential to have it repaired by a professional as soon as possible.
- Clogged air filters: If your air conditioner’s air filter is clogged, it won’t be able to circulate the air properly.
This can cause a build-up of dust and other allergens in your home. Dirty air filters can restrict the airflow to your air conditioner, causing it to work harder and reduce its efficiency.
- Fan problems: If the fan in your air conditioner isn’t working correctly, it won’t be able to circulate the cold air properly. As a result, your air conditioner can overheat or shut down.
- Compressor problems: If your air conditioner’s compressor isn’t working correctly, it won’t be able to circulate the refrigerant properly, which can also cause overheating.
- Drainage problems: If your air conditioner is leaking water, it could be due to a clogged drain line.
If you’re having trouble troubleshooting the problem, it’s best to call a professional who can diagnose the problem and recommend the ideal solution.
AC repair can be expensive, so if your air conditioner is old or not working properly, it might be time to replace it.
Here are a few things to keep in mind when deciding whether to repair or replace your air conditioner:
Air conditioner replacing vs. air conditioner repair
When to repair:
- If your air conditioner is less than ten years old and the repair is covered by warranty, it’s probably worth repairing.
- If the repair cost is less than half the cost of a new system, it’s probably worth repairing.
- If your air conditioner is still under warranty, you may be required to use a certified technician for repairs.
- If you’re not sure what’s wrong with your air conditioner, it’s best to call a professional.
When to replace:
- The cost of repairs: If the cost of repairs is more than 50% of the cost of a new ac system, it’s probably time to replace it.
- The age of your air conditioner: Air conditioners typically last 10-15 years. If your air conditioner is more than ten years old, it might be time to consider a newer install.
- The efficiency of your air conditioner: newer air conditioners are much more efficient than older models. So if your air conditioner is more than ten years old, it’s probably time to upgrade to a newer, more efficient model.
- The severity of the problem: If your air conditioner has significant issues, it might be more cost-effective to replace it than trying to repair it.
- Your comfort: If your air conditioner is not providing the level of comfort you want, it’s time to consider replacing it.
If you’re not sure whether to repair or replace your air conditioner, the best course is to call a professional. They will be able to assess the problem and recommend the best course of action. AC repair can be expensive, so if the old system is not working properly, it might be time to replace it.
AC DIY repair Vs. professional ac repair
There are several reasons why you might want to consider hiring a professional for your AC repair needs.
Air conditioners contain harmful chemicals that can be dangerous if not handled properly. If you’re not experienced in handling these chemicals, it’s best to leave the repairs to a professional.
Hiring a professional for your AC repairs can save you money in the long run. They have the experience and knowledge to troubleshoot the problem and make the necessary repairs quickly and efficiently.
Repairing an air conditioner can be time-consuming, especially if you’re not familiar with the process. Hiring a professional will save you time and hassle in the long run.
Most air conditioner manufacturers offer a warranty on their products. If you attempt to repair the air conditioner yourself, you could void the warranty.
Peace of mind
Knowing that your air conditioner is in good hands can give you peace of mind and allow you to focus on other things.
Contact a professional if you’re not sure whether to repair or replace your air conditioner. They will be able to assess the problem and recommend the best course of action. AC repair can be expensive, so if your air conditioner is old or not working properly, it might be time to replace it.
Keeping your air conditioner in good condition after the repair
Once you’ve had your air conditioner repaired, there are a few things you can do to keep it in good working condition:
- Change the air filter regularly: Dirty air filters can restrict the airflow to your air conditioner, causing it to work harder and reduce its efficiency.
- Schedule regular maintenance: Routine maintenance can help identify potential problems before they become major repairs.
- Start smart thermostat shutting: This can help you save energy by allowing you to set temperatures for different times of the day.
- Consider a home warranty: A home warranty can help you save money on repairs by covering the cost of parts and labor.
Your air conditioning system will provide years of outstanding service with proper maintenance and care. If you have any questions about your air conditioner or need to schedule a repair, contact a qualified professional.
Get Your Air Conditioner Repaired By Qualified Experts
A little about us
We are HVAC professionals who have been repairing and installing air conditioners for both residential and commercial customers. We offer excellent service as far as HVAC is concerned, including ac repair, installation, and maintenance.
We take pride in our work and always aim to provide the best possible service to our customers. We are passionate about our services and strive to have satisfied customers all the time and their air conditioning system running smoothly.
With our years of experience, we have the knowledge and skills to troubleshoot and repair any problem you might have with your air conditioner. We also offer various other services, such as AC installation and maintenance.
We are above our competition because we:
- Offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee
- Have an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau
- Are certified by the EPA
- Use high-quality parts and materials
- Offer competitive pricing
- Have great communication skills
- Offer quality service in a timely manner
- Super responsive
Absolute Indoors is your one-stop-shop for all your HVAC and AC systems needs. Some of the services we offer include:
- Air conditioning repair service
- Air conditioning installation and maintenance
- Air ducts installation, repair and service
- Ductwork repair and installation
- HVAC system repair and installation
- HVAC replacement
- HVAC repairs
- HVAC maintenance
- HVAC installation
- Heating services
- Thermostat repair and installation
- Home energy audits
- Indoor air quality testing
- And more!
We serve the following areas: Austin, TX, Travis County, Burnet County, Williamson County, and the Surrounding Areas.
Contact us today to schedule a consultation!
How much will an air conditioner cost?
Air conditioner repair costs vary depending on the problem and the severity. However, most repairs will fall somewhere between $100 and $500. If the issue is more severe, the cost could be higher.
How long will my air conditioner repair take?
The time it takes to repair an air conditioner will vary depending on the problem. Nonetheless, most repairs can be completed within a few hours.
How frequently should I have my air conditioner serviced?
We recommend you schedule service for your AC at least once a year. This will help ensure that it is running efficiently and can help prevent problems in the future.
My air conditioner is not working, what should I do?
If your air conditioner is not working, you should first call a professional to assess the problem and fix it or recommend the best solutions.
What are Absolute Indoor Comfort’s hours of operation?
We are open from Monday to Saturday from 7:00 am to 7:00 pm, except for Saturday when we are available at 9.00 am. We also offer emergency services 24/7.